I love to be inspired by what others have done.

I love to be inspired by other people's projects and goals. It challenges me to get up and get busy. I hope you're inspired to make a little progress on whatever project you've been dreaming of doing.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Inexpensive Leg Warmers

One of my fun sewing projects for Christmas was some cute leg warmers from toe socks.  What I didn't anticipate were tears from a bigger sister who wanted her own leg warmers.
To make the first leg warmers I cut off the toes from the socks, serged the edge, turned the edge up 1/2 inch to make a casing, sewed leaving an opening to insert 3/8" elastic, inserted elastic (cut about 1" bigger than her ankle measurement) and then closed the opening.  In hindsight, I'm not really sure the elastic is necessary.  Those are on my almost three year old.

Early in January, I headed to Target to see what I could find (the original toe socks were from a sale at Walgreens).  The striped socks were $1.25 and the others were $1.40.

 I started by cutting above and below the heals and toes.
 Next, I folded the "foot" part in half, wrong sides together to make a cuff.
 Finally, I serged the cuff to the bottom of the sock (cuff to right side of sock).
I need to locate some clearnce thigh high socks for the biggest sister or over the knee socks for when the five year old outgrows her current leg wamers.  Girls' knee socks would work well for a baby.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Emily! I will try this! I don't have a serger, but I think I could do it by hand.
    Ida

    ReplyDelete